Coors Light Bar Mirror

Below is a press release from our friends at Coors.  If Coors is your favorite beer then there are some cold times ahead for you.  They’ve developed a tap that’s so cold that ice actually condensces around it!  And the new Thermochromatic bottles actually change color when the beer is cold enough to drink.  In short, Coors is doing everything that that can to make sure that you never drink a warm beer again.  It’s going to be a chilly summer.

GOLDEN, Colo., April 11, 2007– As temperatures rise and summer approaches, Coors Brewing Company is announcing its latest product innovations designed to meet adult consumers’ desire for cold, refreshing beer. Super Cold Draft and the Cold Activated Bottle are just two in a long line of Coors Light product innovations, and are designed to deliver Coors Light in the coldest, most refreshing way across a variety of beer drinking occasions.

These innovations work for multiple types of retail environments as well as the way in which adult consumers choose to enjoy a Coors Light. Whether it’s the Cold Activated Bottle for a summer barbecue or an ice cold beer served from a Coors Light Super Cold Draft system, Coors Light will keep adult consumers refreshed all summer long.

“Coors Light is the world’s most refreshing beer and this round of innovations deliver on our Rocky Mountain heritage while addressing consumers’ desire for the coldest, most refreshing beer,” said Andy England, chief marketing officer, Coors Brewing Company. “Our latest innovations continue to raise the bar by delivering on our promise to provide the world’s most refreshing beer no matter where our consumers decide to enjoy a cold Coors Light.”

Cold is one of the most important considerations when consumers order a premium light beer. To provide the coldest, most refreshing draft beer, the Coors Light Super Cold Draft system will be available nationwide this year. The first pouring system of its kind in the United States, Super Cold Draft pours Coors Light at a temperature below freezing. Coors Light Super Cold Draft is dispensed from a unique bar top presence – a mountain draft tower that forms an outer layer of real ice.

According to Coors Light research, consumers want to know when their beer is cold enough to drink. To meet that need, Coors Light is introducing the Cold Activated Bottle, which features mountains on the label in Thermochromatic ink that turns blue when Coors Light has been chilled to the perfect temperature for ice cold refreshment. The Cold Activated Bottle will be available on all 12-ounce Coors Light and Coors bottles at participating bars, restaurants, grocery, convenience stores and liquor stores this May.

In addition to these innovations, Coors Light is highlighting three of its most popular packaging enhancements – the Coors Light Plastic Bottle Cooler Box, the industry’s first ice-ready bottle package, and the Frost Brew Liner with the Wide Mouth Can. The Wide Mouth Can ensures a smoother drinking experience from Coors Light and Coors cans. In addition, every Coors Light and Coors can features a Frost Brew Liner, tinted blue so consumers know it’s locking in that refreshing Frost Brewed taste.

Coors Light will support these innovations and packaging enhancements with a series of television ads that show adult consumers enjoying the benefits of these new products in a humorous way. They will also be supported with a full marketing campaign, including online, radio and out-of-home throughout the summer.

# # #

About Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company is a subsidiary of Molson Coors Brewing Company, (NYSE, TSX – TAP). It is the third largest brewer in the U.S. The company’s U.S. brands include Coors Light, Molson Canadian, Coors, Killian’s Irish Red, Keystone, Blue Moon, Coors NA and Zima. For more information on Coors, visit the company’s Web site, www.coors.com.

13 Comments on "Coors Light Unveils 2007 Innovations that Deliver Refreshment as Cold as the Rockies"

1. nigel doyle June 20, 2007 at 8:23 pm - Reply

hi,
    can u tell me the name of the song and artist of the coors light ad..”made in the rockys” because i love that song??

2. bgbryce June 28, 2007 at 8:30 am - Reply

Hi Nigel,

I contacted Coors with your question and they suggested that one of these commercials might be the one you’re referring to:

“Bus Stop”
    Music: The O’Jay’s “Love Train”
    Tagline: “The World’s Most Refreshing Beer”
    Summary: At the end of a long, hot workday, a group of sweaty people at the bus stop anxiously await for the bus to arrive. Much to their surprise and delight, the Coors Light Silver Bullet Train arrives instead of the bus and delivers refreshment as cold as the Rockies to all that it passes.

“Taxi”
    Music: The O’Jay’s “Love Train”
    Tagline: “The World’s Most Refreshing Beer”
    Summary: At the end of a long, hot workday, the city streets are jammed with rush hour traffic and hot pedestrians. As a taxi driver sits in the blistering heat of his cab, he checks his rear view mirror to see something in the distance making way through the traffic. It’s the Coors Light Silver Bullet Train, blasting down the road and tossing ice-cold Coors Lights to the many grateful adult pedestrians.

If that doesn’t help, let me know and I will ask them to keep digging.

Cheers!
    Bryce

3. alex July 22, 2007 at 3:44 pm - Reply

does the liner in the can help the beer stay colder longer or is it just for the taste

4. bgbryce July 23, 2007 at 9:40 am - Reply

Hi Alex,

That’s an interesting question. I’ll see what I can find out from Coors.

My first reaction is to say that the liner only helps the taste. I’m not completely up on the technology but I do know that the original beer cans had to be lined with plastic to prevent the beer from reacting with the metal. As far as I know this remains true. Besides being a little sexy, I don’t think that the blue liner on these cans does anything that the liners in all other cans do.

But, like I said, I’ll check with Coors and report back.

Cheers!
    Bryce

5. bgbryce July 23, 2007 at 11:22 am - Reply

Here’s what Coors told me:

“All Coors Light cans contain a liner that protects the taste of the beer. In 2006, Coors Light drew attention to those liners by tinting them blue.”

Sounds like it is for taste only.

6. shane September 7, 2007 at 5:31 am - Reply

can anyone tell me the background track in the recent coors lite ad???….(snow turning in2 person??)

7. bgbryce September 7, 2007 at 8:02 am - Reply

Hi Shane,

If this is the ad you’re talking about then the song you’re looking for is Type A Jitters by Sasso.

Hope that helps. If that’s not the one you’re looking for let me know and I’ll keep digging.

-Bryce

8. Taylor March 7, 2008 at 2:05 am - Reply

Okay this has bothered me and all my Coors Light buds. What is the reason for the indented line near the wide mouth beer can?

9. Michael D. Grissom April 12, 2008 at 1:24 am - Reply

Taylor.. what “indented line near the wide mouth beer can?” I would like to see that. I have a patent on something similar.

bgbryce.. please give a link to what you saw about that blue liner. All aluminum cans have an interior liner coating but I saw nothing on the Coors website that mentioned anything about a special patented coating that’s better.

I just came from the http://www.coorsbeer.com website and saw nothing about either of these things on their site. DANG!.. wikipedia has more about Coors innovations than the Coors website does!

I saw the commercials about the thermal label but was so focused on the ice and frost covered train racing through a city street that I never realized what the commercial was about.

Sometimes a commercial can be so great that everyone misses the message. I have a photographic memory and yet, no matter how hard I try, I can not remember a reference to “thermal” or “changing color” to indicate the temperature of the beer.

I’m an avid beer drinker who hasn’t had a Coor’s beer since 1985 but, had I known about this, I would have purchased at least three cases just to experience that innovation for three consecutive days!

.. just kiddin’ ..that would take four cases.

I’m amazed that Coors didn’t run a relatively inexpensive internet survey on their commercials BEFORE they aired. I sense a major advertising blunder happened and they (Coor’s) don’t know it.

10. jasen April 14, 2008 at 1:13 am - Reply

its suppose to be a vent not sure how it works though

11. FUKCOORS April 26, 2008 at 4:55 am - Reply

this is awesome, now the dumbest consumers in the entire world can finally have what they’ve always wanted. a beer so cold that it finally tastes like ice water, instead of corn-flavored water.

beer is not supposed to be served COLD!!!

it’s supposed to be served cool, so you can actually taste it.

if you taste any abbey beer or craft brew at 45 degrees and you pour an “ice cold” Coors at 32 degrees. there’s always going to be a clear winner, the cool beer at 45 will taste better 10 times out of 10.

chilling things extinguishes flavor, it’s that simple.

12. Brian Subijano March 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Nascar rules! I just wish that Jimmy was doing better this year.

Leave A Response